View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcranston View Post
I'm going to disagree with that. I did my first 5 track days on the Primacy's. I'd argue it's better to start on a slow tire than a fast tire. When you make a mistake on a slow tire you're going slower, so the consequences are less. Drop the car in a fast sweeper on 140tw tires and it's a much bigger problem.
You are very right in the sense that super sticky tires can be unforgiving when they break free because of their much higher limits. But I wouldn't go straight to a 140tw extreme performance tire as a first timer.

I guess I should rephrase my statement to: get a good max performance summer tire that can withstand track abuse and give you the grip and confidence to learn, but have progressive and communicative limits so you know when to back off.

Even not all Max performance summer tires can withstand lapping. Back in my Saab days, my first ever track day was with the Hankook Ventus V12 evo. The V12's could not handle the heat well and got greasy really fast. I had zero confidence on fast sweepers as the car was squirmy. When I eventually upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, that was a game changer. The increased grip, durability, and communicative limits meant I could safely push myself over long sessions.
N_Raged is online now   Reply With Quote