Thread: Space Things
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #17
Atmo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: TBA
Location: FL350
Posts: 943
Thanks: 814
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Another pilot story for you. Once, my astronaut buddy flew up from Houston for a visit in a T-38 with NASA markings. That caused some excitement at my small hometown field, emptying out the coffee shop next to the ramp (I never got to fly in it though).

After lunch we took up my usual rental, a Piper Turbo Arrow, to do some some sight seeing in uncontrolled airspace. I offered the controls to him and agreed to have him demo some maneuvers. He then did some things well outside normal Commercial pilot checkrides and near the limits of the airframe and powerplant for a Normal category GA aircraft. He's never flown the type before but was comfortable doing anything with it, expected I guess for a former Top Gun instructor pilot.

Returning to my home sea level field from about 8,000', he offered to demo the shuttle descent glide angle. He dirtied up the plane with gear and prop pitch, closed the cowl to avoid supercooling the engine, and over we went to 20° nose down. It was quite a view for a minute until he resumed a normal descent angle and I was able to clear my ears.

It was a fun hour, I learned a lot about exploring unusual attitudes safely, and best of all didn't vomit.

Here's a NASA video of a shuttle landing.

Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote