Old 05-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #69
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I hear you. For years the door handles were also a deal-breaker for me as well. But then, the Infiniti G37 was available at the same time, with the same drivetrain but a much better looking body and more refined interior.

I've owned 3 Infiniti G coupes, 2004 G35, 2008 and 2012 G37, all 6 speed manuals. The G37 was a wonderful car, fast enough to be fun yet refined and comfortable enough to be 'near luxury' and available with a manual transmission. One of my biggest automotive mistakes was selling my last G37 coupe, the 2012, to buy a 2015 Mustang GT. BIG mistake. I foolishly thought the G coupe would always be available and I could always 'go back'.

Not so much. The current Q60 is nothing like the previous generation G37. Soft, flabby, heavy, turbocharged instead of the immediacy and linear response of the old naturally aspirated engine, too much unnecessary electronic tech, and worst of all, no manual transmission. In the face of that, the door handles on the 370Z didn't look so bad (and I was planning on painting them to match the body).

It was a close call between the 370Z and the BRZ. If it wasn't for the disgusting sleaziness of most Nissan dealers, I may well have bought one instead of the BRZ.
After I sold my 96 Supra NA hardtop, I was looking for a G35 coupe. Things changed, but it was always high on my list for a GT car. It was the American Skyline, after all.

I probably would have bought a 370Z/G35/7 as well if it wasn't for the BRZ.