View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #47
Ktse

Drives: 2017 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 1 year account of Redline MT90

After 2 winters I switched from the factory fluid to Redline MT90 in my 2017 BRZ. I have had the car since it new so I know its history and do not flog it senselessly.

Like many of you, I found the transmission to be gritty enough that it felt like I was stirring a bag of gravel when shifting from first to second gear during temperatures around 0 celcius. The consensus of the internet was to either try Motul 300 or Redline MT90.

The decision to choose Redline was down to most of the feedback from owners stating that it was better in cold temperatures and availability at Part Source.

April 2019: with 26500 km on the odometer, I lifted the car and changed transmission fluid to Redline MT90, and the differential to Redline 75W85 GL5. I made sure to overfill and let the excess drain out. The levels were good.

On the initial drive after changing the fluid, I wanted to say it was much smoother, but honestly speaking, it was marginal at best since ambient temperatures at that point were closer to 10 celcius. So I drove the car like usual, took it to a couple of track days at TMP for the rest of the year. No issues with the fluid, business as usual.

October 2019: I had driven 10000 km with MT90 and switched over to a new set of winter tires. Flurries were beginning, I was ready for the winter.

Typically, I leave my car parked in a covered garage at work, temperatures would consistently stay below 0 for 9 hours a day so this was a good test. I have put on about 6000 km of winter driving since October, and I am happy to say that the shifts from first to second are much smoother and takes less force to shift compared to the factory fluid when driving from a cold state. After about 2 minutes of driving, it feels like business as usual.

Overall, I would say it's worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Ktse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ktse For This Useful Post:
Yellow BReeZe (03-22-2020)