Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh yes, part of the repair process. A couple of cautions:

DO NOT breath the brake dust when you blow it off the brake drum - causes cancer.

DO NOT use trichloroethylene to clean brake parts - causes cancer

CAUTION using brake cleaner - even the stuff without TCE

INVEST in a brake tool to replace the return springs (unless you are really quick with two screwdrivers).

When bleeding the brakes, make sure the person pumping the pedal ain't half deaf (an eye full of brake fluid is painful).

Adjust the brake shoes back before trying to replace the drum - the new shoes are thicker

Drink no more than one beer per wheel

Got it -

humfrz

thanks for the advice, Im pretty sure the brake clean I got has that stuff, I use gloves and a mouth cover and goggles but still I smell/breathed some in when using it, I tried to avoid it best I can but still got bits of it. Would it be terrible if I tried to use rubbing alcohol to clean my rotors and shims instead of brake clean?

For the drum brakes I tried adjusting it back to the way it was before putting the rotor back on, I failed it wont loosen to the way it was. So I loosened it until I could hear the drum braking touching the rotor when I turn the wheel, then I back off some so it spins with out touching (ebrake is not engaged) Is this right or am I doin it all wrong? I did this with two screw drivers and it was a pain in the ass.

I recently bleed my brakes so Im just using a turkey baster to suck out extra fluid and I'll add it back after I press the brake pedal.

I also smashed the shit out of finger pushing the rear rotors back on, worth it to be careful

Last edited by DandoX; 08-23-2019 at 05:12 PM.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote