steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I am really confused as to what the flex fuel kit does. Am I forced to run a flex fuel kit so it will adjust on the fly or is a flex fuel kit there just to tell you what the content of alcohol is in what you are using?
I'm reading it will read the fuels ethanol percentage and then send a signal to the PCM. Does that flex fuel kit override what the OFT changes have done or do they compliment each other? Do you get
the flex fuel kit, fill up with E85(or what you believe is E85)and then switch to the E85 tune?
If the station I get the E85 from is running say E75, do I get the tune configured for only E75 if not running a flex fuel kit? I also read if you run no flex fuel kit and just run the car to almost empty the tank
and then switch over to E85, you just reflash for that E85 tune then.

The standard e85 tune for oft is not flex fuel irs a fixed e85 tune , it done for about 75% ethanol but can adjist vetween about 90% amd 60% ok. Most e85 will be in that range however in last couple of uears usa e85 can ve a low as 50% tgis presents a problem as it out of range of the standard tune.

You can buy cheap ethaol testers on ebay, test you local fuel amd see what it is if its in ghe 60-90 range it will be ok

If its the low ethanol then

Thats when you need a full flex fuel system

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120397

Unfortunatly that requires a flex kit hardware about $500 plus a flex fuel tune , not ghe normal dedicated e85 tune
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (07-15-2019)