Old 07-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #911
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
In 93 the NA Supra was $33,900. That is $60k in todays money. Now the new base Supra starts around $50k and $54k for premium. Not that much differences imo. Just wait for the track model that is the equivalence to the GTE MKIV.

I'm not too up to date regarding A80 EU Supra pricing and etc.

According to BMWUK and ToyotaUK the Supra actually cost more.

Z4: £49,050
Supra: £52,695.00
No, you can't compare the NA Supra to the TT. That is like comparing the WRX to the WRX STI. They were way too different. The MKV Supra at $50k (US) is the replacement for the MKIV Supra turbo. In Japan they will be selling a 4 cylinder turbo variant that could be similar in comparison to the NA MKIV Supra, or perhaps the 4 cylinder Z4, but even then, there may not be enough differences. I don't know if the brakes are different, if the transmission is different, if it lacks the active differential or other things. The point is that the Supra was way too expensive then for what the buyer got, so it didn't sell well. The Z3 at the time was similar in power to the NA Supra, but weighed 600 pounds less, and it had a luxury badge, so there was more value for the same price, which is why it sold well.

That is interesting that the Z4 is cheaper in the UK, but like $15k more expensive than the Supra in the US. I wonder if they package the car much differently there/here. Regardless, the Z4 At 49k euros will probably get the BMW package treatment and quickly balloon up above the Supra. In fact, the Supra might be cheaper when both are equipped the same; I don't know. What is obvious is that the Z4 is selling well enough that the Supra could clearly do better than 900 units a year.