View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Yes, its on the DRL live (Green) and there is no resistor.

Again, the problem I'm trying to confirm is whether the DRL Live gets its power from HiBeam GND. I have probed continuity between HiBeam GND to DRL Live and confirmed that when you unplug HiBeam GND, then the DRL stops working. Unless something is wrong with my wiring (which I doubt since all functions are working properly including DRL daytime power, with exception to the HiBeam Flap), there may be an incorrect presumption that the DRL splice really works as intended (to isolate High Beam from DRL)

Are you speaking from experience or quoting the guides?
  • If you have the lights on the car yourself, have you tried toggling quickly from Parking to Low Beam mode? You can see the unblocked beam momentarily (raised flap - HiBeam enabled), then the flap deactivates (return to low beam) because the relay is getting switched from DRL to Night Mode.
I am speaking from both experience and guides. I have installed both my BRZ and JDM headlights myself. The only thing is that I only did the DRL for the BRZ boomerang for a bit (wasn't my thing to have DRL running) but did not do it for my JDM headlights. Did not recall if the BRZ headlights had issue with the high beam actuator as DRL was removed shortly after install (DRL resistor plugged back in but DRL setting turned off in techstream). BRZ headlights should be similar to the monograms as they utilize 6 pins (Not including the 7th one for turn signal).

Now I am trying to think of the possible issue. The more I think about it, the more I feel like you are onto something about tapping the DRL live wire for the monograms/10 series/rs/maybe BRZs. The JDM ones have both a dedicated 12V 3.3W wire for max brightness on DRL, but when going to parking/low beam/high beam, it switches to the dedicated 12V 0.5W for lower brightness (from parking 12V wire) where as the monograms only have one wire for the LED which pushes it at full 12V 3.3W when tapped to the DRL live wire during day mode but getting the 12V 0.5W for lower brightness from the parking 12V during parking/low beam mode.

Again, just to make sure I am on the correct page now, when you go from DRL to parking mode/low beam (stalk option 0 = day mode/DRL, option 1 = night mode/parking mode, option 2 = night mode/parking mode w/ low beams on), it causes the high beam to flash/actuate. If so, then my thoughts are below. If not, please correct.

Thinking back about what you said regarding the HiBeamGND power, I am wondering if it's because that DRL live wire is also connected to the parking 12V wire. As we know both know, the HiBeam 12V/GND is used for DRL on the base headlight. When you switch from the DRL to parking/low beam, the ECU cuts power to the HiBeam 12V/GND and possibly turns on the relay to make the HiBeam work when engaged during parking/low beam. Maybe after switching from DRL to parking/low beam, the parking mode provides power to the led strip and maybe to the tapped DRL live wire as well. If the DRL live wire does not ground the power fast enough, maybe that small boost in power to the from the parking 12V to the tapped DRL live wire is enough to power on the actuator, hence causing it to flicker when going from DRL to parking/low beam.

Since this is a theory, I would maybe try this to confirm it (assuming I am correct about the issue). Unplug/unpin the parking 12V wire from both the headlights (assuming that you tapped the DRL live wire on the headlight side). Switch from DRL to parking mode/low beam (you should not have the LED strip during parking/low beam). If the high beams does not actuate, then we may have found the culprit. Also, if you had tapped the non headlight side for the DRL live wire, then it should cause the high beam problem to happen again, which also helps us find the culprit of it being the wire tapped into the parking 12V.

Possible solution if above is the actual problem (could also be a test), is to unpin the white LED wire from the headlight and have it connected to another constant 12V source and hopefully it does not trigger the high beam actuator. Or have a diode on the drl live wire to flow one way and see if that fixes the problem.

Edit: Also looking at the wiring diagrams, monogram headlights get the power to the DRL differently (not from the high beams like the base FRS). The relay stops the power from flowing into the DRL when going into parking/low beam but if you use the always on module, it looks like it takes the power from the parking 12V and redirects it to the DRL as well.

Last edited by Bach415; 06-19-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote