Old 05-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #100
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMexican View Post

What about a 'universal' trunk mount bike rack like this? I'd be a little hesitant about the little hooks messing up the paint, but maybe some 3m foam tape?

I am also curious if someone has done a snowboard rack. So far, my snowboard fits fine if I fold the seats down...
The Thule bike carrier I have has rubber coated hooks and they do not mar the paint. I've used it over a dozen times (on my GTI) and the 6 hooks (2-top, 2-side, 2-bottom) on the hatch have not marred the paint/clear coat one bit.

You will get more paint damage from road debris driving to/from your destination than from the hooks.

As far as the foam pads on the top and bottom bars; you can put a microfiber towel around them if you are truly worried and keeping the paint scratch free.

I have clear bra stuff on my rear bumper, but will usually put a microfiber cloth on the pads that touch the paint. Once the carrier is strapped down and all lines are tightened, the carrier does not move.

Check/recheck after about 25 miles, and then check each time you stop. Again, no problems in 15, with the rack or the paint.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote