Old 05-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #37
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I've been watching all the recall threads and threads on other forums and this is the basic summary answer to your question.

miles after Recall service danger zone:
0-200= failure is less likely to present it self at this lower mileage
200-650= most common failure if something went wrong from the recall
650-1000= less likely but not out of the woods yet
1000-1,500= unlikely any problems from the recall will occur
1,500+ = your as out of the woods as you can be following the recall service
Is that your own analysis based on numbers of car with issues over distance completed before issues or non issues?

You’re talking miles so 1500 miles works out to just over 2400kms. I’m at approximately 1200kms and 6 weeks post recall.

I’d say 0 - 100kms (0 - 60 miles), is the initial danger distance when anything mechanically bad related to the springs themselves and timing case reassembly will show up. Then 100 - 3000kms (60 - 1860 miles] when the sealant has had time to dislodge and move thru the galleries affecting oil flow.

After that the risk must reduce the more distance travelled, but NEVER really end. Perhaps 10000kms or 6000 miles is the ultimate point.. That’s about 3 years at my usage level and well past any chance Toyota will accept responsibility for failures.

If mechanical failure doesn’t get you, attempting to flush out pieces of sealant with regular oil changes and extra filter changes between oil changes is basically all you can do apart from install a stand alone oil pressure gauge in the hope you’ll see pressure drop or fluctuation before they cause an issue. I think I can program mine to flash or beep when pressure drops below a pre determined min.

There are other issues apart from the sealant, like the issue I had with them adding the coolant but not bleeding the air properly resulting in no coolant in the expansion tank, and a CEL generated by a loose pin in the cam sensor connector that was, according to the tech who diagnosed it, disturbed during the recall process.

The coolant was just a top up but took 2 hours of my time for them to fix and check by pressure testing the cooling system. The loose pin, like most elec issues took 6 hours, while I waited, to locate, identify, rectify, and system check to make sure no other connectors and pins, touched during the recall, in the wiring loom were loose. Both were due simply to rushing and not checking properly. The cam sensor pins are well known for causing issues if treated roughly. I’m happy with the dealerships follow up but these things are things that just shouldn’t have happened..

t’d love to know if BRZ owners are having similar issues with their cars given they’re having the recall done by techs/mechanics who have daily experience with Subaru engines especially the FA20.

Last edited by Bodalenko; 05-09-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote