View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #4079
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm
 
Snoopyalien24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,729
Thanks: 1,275
Thanked 753 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Had lightning strike a transformer on a utility pole within 20feet vertically from me once while at a stop light (I as probably less than 10 feet horizontally from the pole).

One amazing light show and definitely loud! YoungestSonHawk still talks about that since he was also with me.

Weirdest thing I've ever been in though was blizzard with an embedded thunderstorm. One second you couldn't see because of darkness, next second you thought a nuclear bomb had been set off and you were at ground zero.




+100,000 volts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
I've seen thunderstorms during snow, but never seen a lightning strike near me. They are indeed freaky!

Yesterday, I was driving home over the Key Bridge, and on the west side and on the bridge, it was very dry. On the east side, heading out to the Bay, the skies were dark purple, and you could see on the water surface that heavy rains were falling. By the time I got to the toll booth (with a clear view of the water), I had maybe up to ten large raindrops fall on my windshield, but I could hear it hitting the water just maybe 20 ft off shore. It was nuts. Completely dry on land, but there was obviously a massive and fast swell so close over the water.
Well it doesn't snow here (yay) so I don't know how that is, but I imagine how bad it is because of those unknown things he get here called hurricanes lol. Each one has at least 5 or more tornadoes in them! And we Floridians stick out like a sore thumb and the Keys, Miami up to Kissimee get hit a lot. Imagine the whistling of 100+ mile an hour winds with constant rain and lighting without power. Fun

I'm still geeking out on how close the few lighting strikes hit from us. Note we were outside and not inside anyplace
Snoopyalien24 is offline