Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot
Hey all, as the title states I'm moving up to the Seattle area in the beginning of May. I was hoping to get some input on a few things!
I will be bring my 2013 FRS up with me and I'm curious just HOW bad it will be to drive that thing in traffic in Seattle? Are there tons of hills? Is it stop and go everywhere always?
Also--coming from the desert I am not too sure what considerations I need to make for all the rain. I've gathered from other posts that as far as tires go a good all season tired will work well. Are rain guards actually helpful or needed at all?
And finally, I'm trying to figure out what area I want to live in (at least temporarily until I find a house). I've been told Capitol Hill, Freemont, Queen Anne are awesome. I've looked up some crime stats for them and I'm a bit concerned...and having someone mess with / break into my car is a big concern of mine. Are things as bad there as some of the numbers make it seem? Are there other areas near south lake union that you would recommend?
I appreciate any perspective that you are able to provide!
|
Driving in Seattle traffic? There really aren't any hills within Seattle (however, since you're coming from Arizona, you may consider some of the mounds, "hills" -

. Yes, traffic is stop and go much of the day in the downtown area. It gets sparser the further you get away from downtown - except at rush hour. Rush hour is from 5 AM to 11AM and from 2PM to 10pm.-
As far as tires, I have found that good all-season tires work well in this area. A set of chains are sometimes required going over the mountains to Eastern Washington. I have splash/mud guards on my FR-S, I feel they help keep it cleaner.
Where to live? If you're renting and concerned about your car, you may look for a place that has covered/secured parking. It seems that in this area, most car break ins are because the people left something in their car. That would include my granddaughter's small makeup kits, while parked at a movie theater -
If you are buying a house, a lot of where you live would depend on where you can afford to live. It's quite simple to figure out - the further you get away from Seattle, the less homes cost.
As far as crime, hell crime is everywhere. Just use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.
Get ready for some GREAT FR-S driving roads -
humfrz