Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #112
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
One guy on Facebook tried to swap a 2AZ-FE using this method. He actually made it quite far and it started for a second or two before stalling. Eventually he went with the stock 2AZ ECU + an AEM ECU of some sort.

Theoretically, this method could work but there are a lot of obstacles that would make it very impractical and almost impossible.

The biggest two obstacles I see are the crank sensor and VVT. Saying creating a bung for a sensor is easy but you'll need very precise machining to set it perfectly. As far as I know, OFT and Ecutek aren't meant to change all sensor reading parameters even if it was possible.

With proper R&D and a specific "sensor swap kit" you could do it but I doubt a company would spend that much time and money for a single engine type swap when you could pay the same for a standalone ECU or just use the stock ECU with a CAN translator like I did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.

Do other engines not already have a crank position sensor? Would the wires not match up; ie, one car uses two and the other uses three?

Couldn't VVT be eliminated by getting fixed cams and just tuning the cams for top end (assuming the engine that is used has some type of VVT)? Doesn't VVT essentially exist for economy driving and perhaps more low end power mostly? Couldn't parameters for augmenting VVT be eliminated or made to be static in a tuning capacity?

I wouldn't be thinking of having a company do this for me. This would be for a DIYer who wants to take on a project car.