View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I chose an Android Auto unit (Pioneer AVH-2330NEX) and for my intents and purposes it is a better choice than an Android based unit. I wanted a head unit that sounds better than the factory unit and that would smoothly run Google maps and integrate well with popular music apps like Pandora and this head unit fits the bill. I just plug in the USB cable and Android Auto automatically loads and keeps my phone charged. If you are dead set on no cables, there are head units that can use AA over WiFi... but keep in mind that without a cable connected your phone battery can drain pretty fast when you are running a wifi connection, streaming music and using GPS with Google Maps. Most any double din head unit with an LCD display will work with a backup camera.
An Android based head unit will generally be less expensive and have more versatility since it is basically an Android tablet and you can run most any app that you can download from the google play store. However, many Android units are running outdated versions of Android with subpar hardware and no real promise that they will ever update the firmware. With Android Auto, there are frequent updates made by Google and easily updated on your phone. You also have to tether your phone as a hotspot to Android based units for much of the functionality to work... depending on your cell phone plan, tethering may not be permitted or may be limited in speed or data allowance.
As mentioned though... go to your local car stereo shop and ask questions and check out the head units on display. There are A LOT of options out there and you need to truly understand what you are getting into.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote