View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
TRAKRAVN

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterballz View Post
Might go with 4.88 based on this. Since I can sometimes hit fuel cut at the top of 4th but there isn’t enough road or ideal to change to 5th I should be able to almost top out at 5th with 4.88 but not hit fuel cut.
For my local tracks I went with the 5.29. I still don't have enough room to top out 5th on our tracks. I haven't had the car at Mosport GP so I can't comment on a larger track. I would figure the car just doesn't have enough power to top out 6th there anyway. The tracks that I go to the car typically can almost hit the top of 5th. Car has stock power as of now maybe with the addition of the header this year that will change things and 4.88 might be better. It's hard to say at 7000rpm the car just about tops out at 200kph with stock sized tires with the 5.29 but I have never had it up that fast.

i also have a 1.5/2way MFactory diff installed as well set to 1.5way. You will definitely like it.

i just did some quick math to lookup some of the gearing to help you decide.

if you top out 4th without enough room to justify the shift the that would mean your about 173kph assuming a 7300rpm redline. Moving to a 4.88 your top speed in 5th would be 176kph. That would only be a 3kph (~2mph) gain. You may be better off going to the 5.29 where your 5th gear will top out at 163kph so you would make the shift into 6th which then tops out at 212kph. That would seem worth it to me and follows the same route I took. Now the one thing people don't really consider is the slowest corners. For example if you are shifting into 2nd for the slowest corners now you will be leaving it in 3rd. In the end I noticed after the change I was making about the same shifts per lap as I was before the FD change, so the time lost on more shifting is not there. But I was in a better spot of the powerband around the slower corners which made up for a lot of time. Do you know what your slowest corner exit speed is?
TRAKRAVN is offline   Reply With Quote