Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Gearheads always thinks having a "lesser" version cheapens the car.

Just like the American pony cars ended up getting 4 banger base models. "omg no V8 its cheapened!"

Its nice to have the larger selection (opens to a wider audience, and lowers the price of entry) for the sake of the survival of the car. Gearheads may think its sacrilegious to provide such an offering as it goes against what they know of the car during its lifetime.

To me its just "the right version" vs the "wrong version". If I got a pony car, it has to have the V8. Sure the lower ones may be powerful enough, capable enough, etc but it loses the character of "the pony car".

Same as the luxury brands. 4 banger entry lux sport sedans was sacrilegious, now everyones doing it and its weird NOT to have one.
times change, this is how things are.

Theres choice now, if you don't like the choice, get the one that you find ideal. In the case of the Supra, i'd get the I6 version. Not because of "legacy" or whatever garbage buzzword you think the car has to adhere to, its more that I think that's the "right" version of the car to get.

This is an excellent post, and I agree with you.

In the case of the supra, THIS supra.....its been hyped up so much and has such a huge shadow from the MK IV....its a little surprising they're going to offer a 4 cylinder.