View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #26
Jay Laifman
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: Toyota 86 Special Edition
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am having this same issue after the Toyota dealer changed our TOB on our 2018 GT. When the car is cold in the morning for the first few miles, 1st and 2nd are not good. Very notchy, and going into 2nd sometimes feels totally blocked but will ultimately let it in with a hard pull. It was NOT doing this before we brought it in.

But once warm, it shifts beautifully, all gears.

My current theory has been that the mechanic put some lube on the input shaft that is too sticky and causes the pressure plate to stay too close to the flywheel. Then once that lube warms up, it all flows better. I've also seen pictures on this site of the splines on the clutch disk getting bunged up when someone slammed in the transmission. That could cause issues - but I would expect those would not be heat dependent.

The dealer claims that they did not change the transmission fluid or touch the clutch hydraulics. I assume taking off the slave and letting it hang would not cause air to sneak in.

But, just in case, I can bleed it this weekend. I'm wondering does anyone have the measurement of the movement at the slave cylinder on a completely stock set up? I have the measurement of the pedal motion (110 - 115 mm at the pedal face). But nothing on the slave end. Does anyone have that?
Jay Laifman is offline   Reply With Quote