Old 12-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #1511
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
In the video, once the brake light on the Corolla was on, the OP started closing in fast. OP's engine sound didn't change much so the Corolla must have jumped on the brake hard. It's still miles from the two braking cars ahead. There's absolutely no reason to hit the brake hard. In a rear end collision, the car at the back is almost always at fault. The Corolla did a very nasty thing if you ask me.

I daily drive 86 and Corolla interchangeably. An FR-S got to be able to stop much faster than a Corolla. But then the OP would likely got hit by the truck from behind. Fortunately there was an escape route on the left.

P.S. This whole thing reminds me: I've been meaning to get a dashcam for a while. Got to do that soon...
I would take 100% blame for the situation, even if the cop said it wasn't my fault. Watching the video again, I'm still not sure what happened. Was I on the brakes too? How long was I looking at the Corolla? Was I really looking over my shoulder that long? Could I have tried out braking them. Was the truck even that close?

It really was all a blur and you can hear in my voice I was out of it because I had almost no reaction.

The lesson here is not to be defensive around Corolla and Camry drivers. They will do things that will shock you. Be aggressive and get out of their way.

Yes, a dashcam is a good idea. What's great about these cars is that you can run the power cord into the gap in the headliner, pull off the A pillar trim and run the wire down into the glove box where no one will ever see it. No need to cannibalize the dome light. I actually do the same thing for my radar detector, I just have a splitter in the glove box that powers both no problem.

Plus that dashcam is like $40, minus the SD card. It's not the best quality though. Next time I might consider getting one of those dual camera models with a rear camera you can affix to the back window for complete coverage.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote