Old 09-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #4678
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
I was thinking about moving to a newer chassis, I currently have an AP1 S2000 that I use to run approximately 18-20 HPDE / local TA events a year. I am at the tipping point where the car turns decidedly more dedicated track car or I end up selling it sooner than later since it is still a very clean chassis and I can probably still get $14-15k out of it.

205whp
Penske DA 850/600lb
Karcepts STR bars
255 square 100tw
Containment seat, rollbar, front half of interior left

Toss it in, very slight frontend push mid corner, try to add throttle as early as possible and the car comes back to being fully neutral with the option to adjust line via throttle. The car works very well, for me, and is fun to drive.

I think the only real option is a FRS/BRZ since I am not a power car person and I am looking to get into a chassis around $10k.

It seems like consumables will be basically the same.
How do lap times compare for a similarly prepped car?
How does the chassis work at the limit? Anything weird about it (AP1 hates being upset mid corner, as we all know)?
Does the car hold up long term with stock oiling, or is an oil cooler basically required?
Any real pain points with the chassis?
Same pads front and rear, or is a stagger recommended to tone the thing down under heavy entry braking?
Don't bother wasting your time with a 13 chassis. Get the newest that fits in your budget.

Lap times are approximately similar, depending on the tracks you run, and how you prep the car.

Fundamental driving basics stay the same; you can make a AP1 feel like a brz or vice versa mid-corner, with how you alter the geometry.

Same pads front and rear, same as the s2k. Most people seem to like the "idiotproof" front pad bias on the s2k for some reason.

Oil cooler is mandatory; s2k has one from the factory, while the 86 does not.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote