View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
N1rve
Senior Member
 
N1rve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,332
Thanks: 102
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Metallic Scratching Noise On Start Up

Hi Folks!

Recently I've been hearing a metallic scratching noise upon cold start up. It doesn't always occur so it's very difficult to record the noise. Sometimes it will happen once every 3 days, and sometimes it will happen once every 3 months.

It doesn't seem to relate to temperature either. To describe the noise, I would have to say it's a sound of crumpling paper really quickly or someone shaking a bag of rocks with metal shavings. The noise only lasts for a split second and goes away quickly.

The only exhaust mod I have is a Perrin 3 Inch exhaust. Everything else is stock.

I'm going to check the following this weekend:

1) Exhaust Shields
2) Mounting Points/Connection Points of exhaust
3) Check Starter (to see if it's grinding on the fly wheel but I highly doubt it).

Anything else to check? Could it actually be the baffles inside my Perrin muffler has gone/loose? Ideas on how to check that?

Car is a 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series. It has push button start. Automatic Transmission. 56k Miles.
__________________
N1rve

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote