cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Great info. I'm also in Chicago. I can't afford both a set of winters/summers so i'm hoping that the MPSS/MPS4S would be a good investment. I don't drive like an idiot in the snow so hopefully my new set of tires will treat me well.
You can afford winters more than the accident you will have if you try to drive all winter on summer tires. Note, all season tires aren't worth a whole lot more, but they are worth some more. You can get a passable winter package for a reasonable price with new wheels and everything, new... and every year people have used stuff available.

I AutoX'd on PSS yesterday in that same 35 degree spitting little balls of ice or maybe rain and windy as heck did I mention cold... While there are complicating factors limiting my driving, they do reasonably well as long as you're very attentive to smooth input. Cold + wet was a mess though (also, folks that drove later had a very clear advantage... more of the surface was only damp, not lakes...) One slightly happy throttle application saw the car simply lose traction all around and slide sideways for a bit - no control, nothing I could do for a half second but get ready for when traction returned (front tires since I pointed them right...)

Anyhow, you can drive PSS hard in the cold/wet, but they're definitely not at their best. Forget it on snow.

C
why? (04-16-2018)