Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I don't understand, RPM is just that, revolutions within a specific duration (1 minute).

The topic was cruising at high RPMs. My experiment was related to that. And you just said it yourself:
"If I run my car in a lower gear, I'm spinning the engine more times. The engine is traveling "farther." More revolutions = more wear."

Case closed. When cruising you put less wear on the engine if you do it at a lower RPM/higher gear.

It really doesn't need to be so complicating.
It's possible we're saying the same thing different ways, but I don't think so. I'm not sure how to explain it any more clearly so I'll finish my part by reiterating that it is not the number of revolutions per minute an engine turns that wears it out as it is the absolute number of revolutions the engine turns.

Edit: we may be on the same page after all. Let me ask this. Say I am taking a trip of 300 miles. On the way up I drive at 80 mph (say 3500 rpm) and on the way back I drive at 90 mph (4000 rpm). Does the return leg put more wear on the engine than the outbound leg?