Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat
It seems awfully presumptuous and entitled to be "judging" (your word) and labeling someone as a "regular homeless" person or a "druggie" or "dealer". What exactly is your description of a "regular" homeless person versus a substance user? What preconceived notions and visual indicators are you using in your judgement process?
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by spike021
It could've just been a regular homeless person but it's super hard to judge nowadays.
|
I actually said it's hard to judge, implying I don't know all the factors aside from the history of my neighborhood, such as stabbings/murders in the middle of the night just a block away at a park due to drug-related activities. Or perhaps the shooting literally behind my apartment where someone got killed, again for the same kind of issue.
It's impossible for me to classify one any more than another. But that doesn't mean we don't have those types here, and the neighborhood has had issues with it often in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat
When you say that your neighborhood is "crawling" with a rampant homeless problem, it almost sounds like you are describing a vermin infestation, like you're talking about pests or parasites. These are just fellow human beings. It's very possible that they're just recently homeless, especially if they have young children. There have been several hundreds of people who lost their apartments due to unlawful evictions from landlords hoping to turn their rentals into an AirBnB, or raise the rent 120% to take advantage of the influx of tech workers who are willing and able to pay an outrageously high monthly rent.
|
Sorry that you thought I meant "crawling" in a dehumanizing way. I meant crawling more in the frame of there being enough to see often in daily life.
I totally feel for people who are homeless because of some (possibly recent) circumstance that they were unfortunate to land. I've known friends where such things happened to them. I don't see them as some blight on the street that needs to be shoved away to some place where I won't see them anymore.
My issue is with those who could be problematic. And no it might not be "druggies", though sure I will admit I leaned that way with my earlier post because of, as mentioned earlier, my neighborhood having this issue many times in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat
You mentioned that "The really sad thing for me is I consistently see a small group a couple blocks from my apartment and probably 2-3 homeless kids with them. It's pretty shitty.". Stop for a second and think about how "sad" and "shitty" you feel when you see them and then imagine about how much worse it must feel for them to actually be there on the street trying to take care of their family. You can't fix the problem as a whole, but you can do something small to help. Heat up a few cans of chicken noodle soup and take it to the family you saw, along with a blanket or old jacket you aren't using. Go talk to the individual who is in the laundry room and politely let them know that the landlord will probably be trying to kick them out of that area soon. Give them a sandwich and a few bottles of water. A little human compassion goes a long way in these situations and I'm sure would be greatly appreciated.
|
That's a great idea, except I don't always see the same people, and to be quite honest the place where I _do_ see them is already often being served by multiple religious organizations and social groups that provide food/blankets/clothes; this is actually the main reason why homeless people hang out here (as well as it being a bit further away from the public since it's at a park).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat
The next time you come "home" to a place with a solid roof, a door that locks, and a fridge full of food - take a second to realize that you're incredibly fortunate, and be thankful for what you have.
|
I honestly wish everyone had equal access to those kinds of resources, but certainly don't take my own for granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat
It's unfortunate that you feel uncomfortable seeing homeless people, but imagine how uncomfortable it is to actually be one.
|
Unfortunately, I think you misinterpreted my point here. I never said I feel uncomfortable seeing homeless people in general. My issue was the fact that a relatively unknown entity is camping out on the property where I rent, in a small hallway/stairwell with no lighting. Because of the historical issues in my neighborhood, it's not wrong for me to be a bit unsettled that said person could be a homeless drug addict or even just a homeless person with PTSD.. but if said person _is_ someone suffering from PTSD, dementia, or similar.. well, what if they have a knife? What if I'm trying to get to my storage cabinet and I accidentally don't see this person and step on them or something at the bottom of the steps, and they do something in their defense?
That doesn't mean all homeless people make me uncomfortable.
Anyway, sorry that you got the wrong idea about some of the things I said, but I'm glad we've had this conversation because I think the topic of homeless populations is far too often marginalized.