Old 12-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #194
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Now you do get more overall feedback(not just steering) as whole since the BRZ is less insulated from the road.
This. I really wish Porsche had not evolved into a *luxury* sports car (and luxo-sedan and SUV!) company :'(

Minimalism and light weight are sports car virtues. IMO sports cars should bear more relationship to economy cars than luxury cars!

Quote:
But imagine shutting out all other feelings except from the steering wheel, and you may be surprised.
I dunno, I paid pretty close attention to steering *feel*. To me it seemed comparable to an E36 M3's or my old S13. Which is pretty good! But maybe I was expecting magic...

Quote:
Power - If the sound and feel of the flat 6 behind you isn't enough (wasn't for me either) then I suggest you buy the plexiglass engine cover from suncoast parts. Easy install, looks great. Its safe and holy shit, you will hear all kinds of pissed off engines sounds coming from inches behind you.
Neat! But it's not that there wasn't enough engine noise, it's the *quality* of engine noise from the flat-6. They just sound sorta utilitarian/agricultural to me. Not really a major complaint, it's kinda cute in a way! But you'll never mistake it for a Ferrari V8, or even an Alfa V6... Like you'll never mistake the Sube flat-4 for a NA Honda (VTEC yo!) I-4...

Quote:
Suspension - If you have a chance drive the 987 Cayman R. It gives up some of the Porsche cush for more Porsche Motorsport. I like it a lot. But, you can also go buy the OEM Cayman R suspension for $1500.00 and voila, your pretty close to what the R brings to the table but at the cost of a 987 S.
Snot-green Cayman R would be GREAT, but too much $$$. I'd sooner upgrade a non-R with aftermarket suspension even more track-oriented than R.

Quote:
In the end the 987 is still a great car, but you have to really want one to spend 25 to 45k for a car that is 6 to 12 years old and gives you less performance than the hot hatches of today in the same price range.
I'd rather drive a slower rwd sports car any day!

Quote:
I have had 3 987s and 4 BRZs, obviously I keep changing my mind with which one I like best. The 987 feels dated, but set one up proper and it is a great car with great feedback. However, it does take more money. The BRZ is great because its cheaper going down most paths that people wil take it...be it a DD, AX, track, show car, etc. And, easier to mod and work on for "MOST" in their garage.
Damn, we have similar tastes, these are literally the only modern cars on my radar!

Still could go either way... Or I could drive the S2k til it dies!

Great post, thanks!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote