View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #191
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The BRZ steering is faster than the Cayman, the 987 steering ratio is too slow in my opinion as well. I wouldn't say its less responsive than the BRZ. Now you do get more overall feedback(not just steering) as whole since the BRZ is less insulated from the road. But imagine shutting out all other feelings except from the steering wheel, and you may be surprised. I use to drive both cars back to back on early sunday morning drives or PCA AX sessions trying to figure this out. BRZ's EPS is one of the best, but the 987 hydraulic unit in a vacuum is damn good, and has more feel than the BRZ. But, the slower steering rack does take some of the perceived sport out of it. Most of the perceived feedback in the BRZs EPS is also coming from other sources since the car is bare bones for modern car.

Now, as for power and suspension.

Power - If the sound and feel of the flat 6 behind you isn't enough (wasn't for me either) then I suggest you buy the plexiglass engine cover from suncoast parts. Easy install, looks great. Its safe and holy shit, you will hear all kinds of pissed off engines sounds coming from inches behind you. Be warned, conversations in the car will be a bit more difficult. But who cars about that. It truly is rewarding experience. Not exhaust loud, just driver intoxication. May not be for everyone.

Suspension - If you have a chance drive the 987 Cayman R. It gives up some of the Porsche cush for more Porsche Motorsport. I like it a lot. But, you can also go buy the OEM Cayman R suspension for $1500.00 and voila, your pretty close to what the R brings to the table but at the cost of a 987 S.

In the end the 987 is still a great car, but you have to really want one to spend 25 to 45k for a car that is 6 to 12 years old and gives you less performance than the hot hatches of today in the same price range. The BRZ is a better fit for 90% of driving enthusiasts, but the 987 still has charm for the right driver. I have had 3 987s and 4 BRZs, obviously I keep changing my mind with which one I like best. The 987 feels dated, but set one up proper and it is a great car with great feedback. However, it does take more money. The BRZ is great because its cheaper going down most paths that people wil take it...be it a DD, AX, track, show car, etc. And, easier to mod and work on for "MOST" in their garage.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (12-01-2017), jmark (11-30-2017), switchlanez (12-01-2017), WolfpackS2k (12-01-2017), ZDan (12-01-2017)