86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
I'm not very familiar with skidpad testing but I am surprised that the tire upgrades didn't yield more significant improvements. Probably needed alignment and suspension changes to take advantage of the bigger, stickier tires.

Now as far as lap times go, I am certain that huge improvements can be made relatively inexpensively. I bought my car used from a friend of mine just as an experiment to see what could be done on a budget. Went to Roebling Road repeatedly to evaluate the progressive changes. This track is 2 miles comprised of primarily fast sweepers.

Completely stock with 10,000 mile Primacy's and upgraded brake fluid the car ran 1:30 and tires were the overwhelming limiting factor. Slow but it was fun.

Cheap coils, with moderate camber changes and 225 RS's yielded 1:26

Using 245 R7's, much more camber and zero rear toe along with header and E85 tune and the results were amazing. 1:20:4 which is really damn fast for a car spec'ed this way.

I think the cost of mods at that point was around $5K but the car could now more than hold it's own against Caymans and many others.

Nice example of go without the show
Tyres and suspension are often too under-rated, but also shows (in this case) how capable the chassis is. 10s a lap is really big improvement!