Thread: STX Ride Height
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 02:09 AM   #23
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,386
Thanks: 13,791
Thanked 9,502 Times in 5,013 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ignition View Post
I wanna go slightly off tangent but still on topic here...


Trying to fix a situation; 2013 FR-S STX car KWv3 with off the shelf springs


With no preload the car sits far too low and I feel roll center comes into play. So I adjusted preload to get the car at what I feel is a good ride height but now it rides like shit (duh.)


So my question is; how do I raise the ride height without crushing my springs with preload?

I'm actually dealing with this on a set of KWs for another car, it's actually coilbinding now. We had to make a spacer between the helper and main and compress the helper all the way to get enough ride height so the tires wouldn't rub. Removing the helpers wasn't an option as there was not enough threads on the strut body for just the main spring. I believe we will be swapping to a stiffer spring from hyperco or eibach that will be longer and have better travel on top of the extra stiffness be compared to the spring kw ships with their kit. Hopefully we can take the spacer out when we do that.

Totally different platform so no specifics that can carry over but we just made the discovery a week or two ago. Typically companies will ship a decent spring to begin with but I haven't been too impressed with KWs off the shelf hardware.

It's similar to the weight of an 86 and the spring is stiffer than the one I ran on my coilovers (7k to 6k) so I'm inclined to believe the spring is of subpar quality, it's obviously not long enough nor does it have enough travel to do what it should.



2020 Edit: KW spring was trash on that chassis, swapped to a ~400# Eibach Race Spring, got the ride height we needed, ride quality improved dramatically with the stiffer spring that wasn't coilbinding, surprise surprise. Looks like KW V3's come with a 6k spring up front, you shouldn't have to preload that spring much at all to get a decent ride height imho since that's what I have on my car we actually have the spring loose at full droop right now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly

Last edited by strat61caster; 03-27-2020 at 06:57 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote