DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Is it normal to have some strange burnt smell on your hands after driving a manual car? The smell on my hands is most prominent when the AC has been running and lingers on my hands for hours after driving. I've been driving a new 2017 manual 86 for about 9 months and its been a consistent thing, no matter how hard or gently I drive the car. I drive for 80 miles total or roughly 3 hours each day on commute.

Also, about a month ago I've noticed a cricket sound coming from the engine. Not like a belt squeak, but high pitch crickets that match the speed of the engine rotations. Is there something wrong?
Hey so first the cricket sound it completely normal and nothing to worry about. It's from the high pressure fuel pump. Try looking up "crickets ft86club" on google and you will get plenty of info on that. This forum already has too many threads on the subject but in the end it's nothing mechanically wrong and just a characteristic of these cars.

As for the smell no that's not normal, what I suspect is going on is your HVAC system is on "air from outside" and your getting air from fumes on the highway/what your driving near and that is being sucked into your AC and then applied to your hands. I suggest you first check your cabin filter in the glove box make sure that looks okay or get a new better one than what comes with the car (I'm a fan of that FRAM one with the baking soda). Next if that filter looks ok then try doing your commute with air on "cabin air recirculate" and see if you still get that smell. Also wash your hands.

Last edited by DandoX; 09-14-2017 at 01:44 PM.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote