View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #2880
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,386
Thanks: 13,791
Thanked 9,502 Times in 5,013 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeshuL View Post
I need some setup help here...

I have Feal 441s with 8k/7k, 22mm front sway and OEM rear bar. My alignment is -3 front with 1* toe out, and -2.2 rear with 0 toe. I have my dampening 4 clicks off full soft in the front and about 8-10 off full soft in the rear.

My car is prone to understeer and loves to push, should I drop the front to a 19mm bar?I'm thinking that'll make a difference, any imput?
First off I hope that's a typo and you mean 0.1 degrees of toe out, if you're really running 1.0 degrees of toe out I'd change that first as you're basically scrubbing your fronts all the time which could be causing a push.

It all depends on WHY it's pushing. I agree with @cjd in that your setup has a really stiff front compared to 'baseline', but I'm not positive if baseline (equal spring rates, slightly larger front bar) is a good barometer any more. The double edged sword of ST* is that with dozens of different things you can adjust it's hard to tell where to start.

I'd try softening the front as well, hell with that setup if the front felt too stiff and you can feel the rear rolling over while you drive I'd be tempted to try unhooking the front bar completely before spending $200. How the car FEELS should dictate what you do, there's a difference between understeer induced due to alignment not getting full use of the tire, and too stiffly sprung and too much air pressure, and just plain driver induced understeer. What's too pushy for someone can be too loose for someone else.

You really gotta put in the test n' tune time and driver practice time to build a good ST* car.

time/money/energy are in short supply

Edit: And as above stiffening the rear could also help find balance and diagnose an overly stiff front. You could also jack up rear tire pressures, same effect, way less time/effort/money basically proving that the issue is a lack of grip up front by removing grip from the rear.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote