Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I think this is an important point. Clearly it's the same FA20 whether it's in Japan or the US....Or @Tcoat land...

All these cars run fine. If putting 5w-40 in promptly blew your motor, there would be threads about it. Same with the 0w-20 guys. EITHER. WORKS. Just do it right.

I'm in the camp that it makes a lot of sense to have some form of improvement from stock, but you don't need to go nuts.

I think that if you're concerned about oil pressure at all, get a decent oil pressure gauge. Then you can stop being worried because you know what's happening. A little low when you're beating on it? Add the FXT oil cooler. Beating on it all the time? Add a nice setrab cooler. Tracking all the time? Bump up your viscosity.

I think for a DD that might get driven hard on the commute now and again, and might see a track occasionally, an oil pressure gauge with FXT oil cooler and stock or comparable 0w-20 is just fine.
If it's a dedicated toy car, spring for a nice air to oil
This ^.
Not everybody is driving their car the same. To say that "This is the way it is. End of story" is confusing to some and down right wrong for others. There seems to be a major disconnect with some people that can not grasp that not all these cars are track monsters (in fact very few are) that need major alterations or special fluids to operate.
Fluids seem to be one of the biggest debates since they are relatively easy to change and there are so many possible choices. Pick what is right for how and where you drive the car and don't worry about what the other guy is using. Oil is not a magical substance and brand hype aside they all work well at protecting the engine if used in the conditions they were designed for.
chaoskaze (08-25-2017), Zentec (08-24-2017)