Thread: STX Ride Height
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
strat61caster
-
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,386
Thanks: 13,791
Thanked 9,502 Times in 5,013 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Is higher spring rate in the back the way to go? I always though stiff front soft rear is the way to go oan RWD cars m
Most view suspension tuning as a black art and the vast majority confine themselves to buying off the shelf proven setups.

I think over time a stiffer rear rate (not spring rate, wheel rate) will emerge as successful on this car once people work it out and make their setups public, but like oinojo mentions it's not just springs+dampers=win, you need sway bars, alignment, ride heights, tires, dampers, driving style will all come into play to make a setup work, and very few people are able to hand you a good starting point right now.

I'm starting to think even spring rates have become so common because once you go stiffer than street rates you need to fully understand the sway bars, tires, geometry, dynamics etc. and potentially tweak all of them while the 'soft rear, stock-ish sways, any tire works ok' is much more appealing to move a few thousand coilover kits off the shelves.

But I'm just armchair quarterbacking until I do the math, I've got a few texts on the way to help me out with that (waiting until I get through the lighter stuff before I order the real textbooks). Just want to counterpoint since you got 2 people saying that the softer rear is good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly

Last edited by strat61caster; 07-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote