View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #346
ajc209
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Location: UK
Posts: 753
Thanks: 361
Thanked 271 Times in 189 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepypistonracing View Post
Agreed. My contact at Öhlins is saying that 6/6 was undrivable. It's strange though considering our tracks are a lot better than the ring and competitors are running much higher rates. However, the ohlins dampers are extremely advanced. They are very similar to the TTX dampers (a kit starts at about 10000£). They are also running with a lot of pretension on the springs. About 30mm. This is also quite different than competitors. I know that they are very conservative in their spring rates on all their Porsche kits as well but still they are beating others. It's gonna be very interesting to try them out on track soon
I was also told the DFV is very advanced too. Ive seen the piston design somewhere. It has three oil paths so the transition is smoother than the classic digressive knee. This makes for a smoother ride but also more grip becuase the damping doesn't suddenly stop increasing.

Anyway I tried 70N/mm at the back and found it quite tail happy with -2.5 front and -2deg at the back. I am Cosworth supercharged too though so the extra 25kg at the front also contributed. I switched back to 60N/mm and its mote to my liking. The extra power makes it easy to rotate the back. Perhaps a more skilled driver might like more rear spring by 60N/mm all round is nice.

Regarding the mp20. They are the same dampers as the mi20 just differnt valve rates. According to my spreadsheet they absolutely must run preload or else they will be running on the bumpstops under the weight of the car.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote