WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,189 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Welcome. First off all three cars are great. The handel well and preform great. Brz would be on the bottom of the list overall. Still fun.

You sound like you did your homework already, so I'll just go from what I seen and talking to people that take them to track days/ help them learn.

Porsche, they are great till they brake. Then you really feel the Porsche price tag for repairs. That's all the complaints I hear from the Cayman. If buying used be on the look out for the IMS baring. Many have been recalled and fixed, but some are unknown.

Please do your homework before posting things that aren't accurate. There has never been a recall for Porsche Caymans because of anything IMS related. There was a class action lawsuit (which Porsche lost) for the IMS on 986 Boxsters and 996 911s. The Cayman was not included in that lawsuit because it's IMS bearing is a more robust design with a considerably lower rate of failure. Overall the 987 Cayman is a very reliable car. However yes as a car ages there are things that need to be replaced, and those items are more expensive on a Porsche than most cars.

I agree that the interior, as noted by someone else, of a Cayman 987 isn't that great. The materials are sturdy and interior is well put together, but they're not luxurious. Still, they're CONSIDERABLY better than what you'll find inside of a C6 Corvette.

The prospective buyer has stated that he does a lot of his own vehicle maintenance. Knowing that, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend owning a Cayman S. A lot of people are put off by the unique drivetrain packaging but most items on a 987 aren't super difficult to service. It is true that you cannot access the engine via a traditional hood, however you can access the engine from underneath, as well as from above and in front (via 2 removable panels).

Things to know before potentially purchasing a Cayman S:
-If the IMS bearing hasn't failed on a 987 yet, then it honestly probably will not ever fail. However, it is important to note that unlike a 986 or 996, you cannot retrofit a "fix"/upgraded bearing without completely removing the engine and splitting the crankcase.
-brake rotors are (technically) designed to be replaced when the pads wear out. Not really required, but typical lifespan of rotors are around 60k miles (front, longer for rears). Figure around $300/pair.
-the water pump needs to be replaced every 50k miles to prevent potential problems related to it's eventual failure. This is a DIY for anyone of moderate skill.
-Spark plugs need to be replaced every 50k (this isn't due to plug lifespan issues but rather to ensure no problems with plug threads getting stuck/frozen - you cannot use anti-seize on these engines)
-clutch replacement is very expensive if performed by a shop; seems like costs I've seen online have varied between $2500 and $4000. Average clutch life varies, but sometimes they wear out as early as 60k (obviously driver dependent)
-it's not uncommon for the door window regulators to fail prematurely. It happened to me but I fixed it myself (having never worked on a window mechanism previously)
-Having work done at the dealership is EXPENSIVE, however if you can perform most maintenance yourself there are a few dealerships with great online parts warehouses, where you can buy OEM parts at wholesale pricing (Suncoast, Sonnen in particular).
-If you join the Porsche Club of America (a no brainer at ~ $50/year, including an excellent magazine subscription) you have access to the Cayman Register, an excellent resource for technical data, advice and semi-factory help.

I've driven a friend's C6 Z51 Vette and it just wasn't for me. I loved the engine, but that was about it. The seating position was horrible, and the outward view atrocious (especially out the back which surprised me given how large the rear hatch glass is). I certainly wouldn't make a decision without driving all three cars but for me the Porsche was the way to go.

Good luck with your car buying process

Last edited by WolfpackS2k; 12-12-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: FYI www.planet-9.com is a great Cayman resource as well
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (12-14-2016), MuseChaser (12-12-2016), Overdrive (12-14-2016), Pat (12-19-2016), prj3ctm4yh3m (12-12-2016)