gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLeach View Post
Rude? I don't think anything I said was rude. Besides, there should be no debate on this subject. It is just simple physics.
It is simple physics, but "lighter rotating mass=more power to the ground" is almost too simple, because it ignores a lot of side effects. Pulleys especially are hotly debated for the side effects they may or may not cause to the smooth and long-term operation of the engine. A lighter flywheel does free up power to be put to the ground, but its effects on shifting are pretty well recognized. Lighter wheels are pretty straightforward, but they're also unsprung mass, which affects how the suspension is going to operate. A single piece CF driveshaft is awesome, but that OEM center bushing is there for a reason. Removing it from the chain potentially introduces NVH or balance issues. Freeing up rotating mass is a great idea, as long as the side effects are taken into account. I'm a proponent of stiffer drivetrain bushings to keep the non-rotating parts, like the transmission and diff housings, from rotating under torque. But that causes NVH.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote