Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #52
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointmutation View Post
Previously I had harvested an AX-TOY28SWC harness, de-pinned it, and wired up my door speaker amp turn-on wire. ...

Using the removed [OEM aux jack retention] RCA plug that was originally on the AX-TOY28SWC adapter, I made the red [aux RCA] plug as my 'video' plug. ...

The quality may not be the best using an audio cable as a video cable, but for a reverse camera displaying on a small resolution screen, and only in reverse, it's fine for me.
There's actually no difference in quality between the aux RCA cord on that harness and the yellow video cables used on many aftermarket cameras and camera retention harnesses, so that's a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointmutation View Post
I didn't know where to put the ground wire from the red wire side [of the Drok 12V to 6V converter module] so I stuck it in the Aux ground pin #27.
According to Subaru's wiring diagrams, that pin (#27) merely goes to the shield terminal of your car's 3.5mm jack. It doesn't connect to any other ground in the car. So wiring to that pin really didn't accomplish anything. Your converter module is getting its ground from the connection you made on the 6V output side. The input and output ground leads are electrically tied together -- the converter does not provide an isolated output.

It would be better to connect the ground on the 12V side to your other black ground wires (10-pin portion of the power/speaker harness, HU's harness, etc.).

To anyone else doing this, start with the AX-SUB28SWC and you'll have the yellow camera RCA plug and 6V lead all pinned where they need to be, ready to use. You just need to extract all of the wires tied to the ASWC 12-pin plug (including the 2nd ground lead that Y's onto pin #14), and salvage one of the SWC wires to re-use in pin #9 for the amp trigger signal.

As I mentioned earlier, I can supply an AX-SUB28SWC with those modifications. I'll actually use a blue/white wire for the amp trigger -- the proper aftermarket color for that function.