chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurun View Post
I know people are running different oil weights for things like oil coolers and turbos. BUT WHY. why do this. Turbos get oil hotter? Ok so use a thicker oil? well what about the engine specs from Toyota/Subaru? They say run 0w-20. now we have a oil cooler/turbo and we are running 0w-30. So we are increasing the Hot viscosity of the oil. Idk maybe I have been reading this explanations wrong. Heck I may be making it way more complicated than it really is. I am not asking what I should be running (yet). I am trying to understand the entire thing.
I don't know much but basically it depends on your application.
The reason to go to heavier weigh oil is just to keep the oil pressure the same under higher constant engine load/temp.

So if you track alot then it's normal to use higher weight oil even if it's N/A, there is a reason OEM TRD Japan oil is 0w-30. Some are even more extreme, like the RESPO 86 that's being sold in most AREA 86 http://www.respo.net/egn/respo86.html ("they said" It's a special blend of 5W-40 Design for our boxer engine on track.)

*then again I beat the crap out of my car with 0w-20s all 40k mile.....so ya..... your mileage may vary. >.>
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote