Thread: Scion iM
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 01:26 AM   #146
Kaotic Lazagna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: GR Corolla
Location: Lathrop, CA
Posts: 4,943
Thanks: 3,096
Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,865 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
"Lose"

It's a negligible loss (2 ft-lb), and the very low rpm torque is definitely better (I'm saying this without having seen a dyno chart though). The reason is because Valvematic starts with a higher duration cam and cuts duration and lift together. The non-Valvematic engines have fixed cam profiles that's a compromise between low end and top end, which performs very strong in the midrange.

The Valvematic engine had higher horsepower because at high rpm it uses the full lift profile of the cam, but at lower rpm the optimal duration is lower, and the only way to get lower duration is to also lose lift.

The plus is that at low engine speeds, the Valvematic engine should have lower lift, which will help combustion by speeding up the intake charge, producing more torque, possibly.
Peak torque is reached 400 rpm lower with the FAE compared to the FE. However, I didn't really get a chance to test out the LE ECO Plus compared to the LE Plus as my dealership doesn't really sell the LE ECO models (so we don't get them often). I don't want to compare it to the iM since it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

I'd much rather have a more usable curve than peak numbers.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote