Thread: NC emmisions
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Malt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2015 WRX
Location: NC
Posts: 986
Thanks: 186
Thanked 624 Times in 364 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
@Malt thanks for your detailed response...I've been thinking about upgrading my header and you may have convinced me to go with a catted header after all.

How are you liking the WRX?
A catted header isn't going to absolve you from the requirements of having a plated and certified aftermarket Cat. To my knowledge there are absolutely zero aftermarket performance oriented cat replacements that meet EPA requirements and that doesn't even address the fact that it is technically illegal to replace a functioning cat to begin with, especially if its still under the emissions warranty from the manufacturer.

Honestly, if you want to replace the header just go catlesss since both a catted and catless header are equally illegal and one offers substantial gains over the other one. Just find a mom and pop shop to do your inspection and you'll most likely have no issues. If the inspector wants to be a hardass, like the one I had, be ready to put the stock one back on for inspection and put the header back on like a week later after the risk of a DMV inspection has passed.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...le9070838.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...le9070853.html

If you fail an inspection and pass it somewhere else the very same day you just might get a visit. Food for thought

EDIT:
I'm loving the WRX for the extra room as putting three dogs in the BRZ was getting tiresome. The extra power is great but part of me misses the handling of the BRZ. If I could have kept both I would have as I firmly believe the BRZ was the more fun car to drive daily.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote