Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It could be a problem, but it could also not be a problem. Allow me to explain:

When I first bought my car, all was fine. Then one day I put winter tires on. They are so flobbery and soft that even mediocre sawing of the wheel back and forth would cause the traction control to FREAK OUT because the car was so slow to respond to steering input (due to the tires being so willing to roll over) that the car THOUGHT it was breaking traction when it wasn't.

Today, I went the other direction, and fitted my car with 255 section Michelin PSS tires. These have way MORE grip than the OEM rubber, and are only a 35mm sidewall, so they have sharper response too. The traction control system again becomes a nuisance, because it isn't really tuned to this sort of setup. If I swerve back and forth, it again FREAKS OUT, presumably because the forces, and the way the vehicle rolls now are so much more exaggerated that it again things something has gone horribly wrong.

If that's all that is happening, it's simply a result of the fact that you've modified some of the parameters that the system is tuned for. The ideal scenario would be if it were possible to select different "traction control maps" for your vehicle, or at least have it reprogrammed, but AFAIK, that isn't something that's possible to do.

It's also possible you have a legitimate problem, but I wanted to throw this out there because it could simply be nothing at all.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote