Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiscott View Post
Thanks for the input Mike.

I likely do more auto slalom than lapping, but I take the track more seriously, and do slalom more for fun.

I have had no issues with the car understeering with the stock differential. It's more that I found I couldn't get on the power exiting turns as early as I figure I should be able to.

Here's a video of the track I run at. You can see at T2 (tight left uphill) I struggle to put much power down without unstabilizing the rear.

The car has all whiteline products available for it, kw v3 coilovers, and ~ -3/-3 fr/rr camber. I currently run zero toe as I do DD the car in the summer, but I am open to mucking with some toe out to stabilize the car a bit on braking.

The car does make over the stock power. Around 280 wheel or so. That could climb to around 300 wheel next year.

From a lot of the reading I've done, many have suggested the 1.5 way for track use. When I brought this up on a local pro solo forum, an experienced driver suggested I would be better off with a 1 way due to the push/understeer I would realize with a 1.5way. I'm not sure what to think as I don't really know of a clear set of pros/cons of both.

I was leaning towards the OS Giken til now, but the Cusco RS seems to get a good rep, and would allow me to try both 1 way and 1.5 way and see what I prefer.

What measurable differences am I likely to see between the 1 and 1.5? Is there a significant benefit to 1.5 way in having a small amount of lockup on decel that I should consider? I see braking stability mentioned alot, but I'd love to hear your take on it, having used both.

Last point - I like to drive like a bit of a hooligan in closed course environments, and enjoy the ability to control oversteer and force slides when I want to. By no means am I constantly drifting around like a mad man, but I wouldn't want to make the car into an understeer machine in order to shave a few tenths at the track. I like having a tail happy car, and enjoy playing with the limits of grip.

Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mike

Pay really close attention to the track where you are braking loose there in T2. I'm "Dev" on the ARMS forum and run at AMP as well. You're braking loose right as you transition from concrete to pavement. There are also a couple bumps there to boot. You;re doing T2 the way I used to do it and I always found it really awkward. I've since changed my line and I'm far more smooth.

Edit: Actually if you watch your vid close enough it would appear (to me) that your front end nudges wide just as it passes that point as well. Hard to tell for sure though without the steering wheel in view.