I am the one who knocks!

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First Audio Build (Need Math Help!)

Ok smarties. Here's what I've got:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Polk MM6501 Components

I was stoked that my head unit came in the mail yesterday until I was reading that it's highly recommended that you don't hook it up to speakers with an impedance <4 ohms. I was going to just use the stock speakers until I picked out an amp, but it seems that that's out of the question as I don't want to fry the amp circuitry in the HU.

SO. I have these Polk speakers I got last Christmas (bite me, I'm slow to finish stuff). Handling for each mid/tweeter is 125w @ 2.7 ohms. The box says "Compatible with 4 ohm Outputs", which leads me to believe that means when used in conjunction with the supplied crossover (i.e. total impedance is the sum of each component in series). I'll probably use the thing unless someone can recommend against it from experience.

That makes it kind of difficult for me to pick out an amplifier. If:

power(w) = voltage^2/impedence

Then should I calculate an amplifier's output for 2.7 ohms or 5.4 ohms?

I'd like to be within about 110-112.5 per channel, I think. Isn't too little juice just as bad as too much? Not looking to use any other speakers with whatever amp I get either. And I don't want to spend a freakish amount of money. Sorry if this is super noobish or if I'm totally wrong in my understanding of how this works. Any help would be appreciated! (do I hand out bananas or potatoes for long posts?)