BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
I'm also currently reside Baltimore and I'd have to disagree. It hasn't snowed enough in my 5 years living there to merit anything other than all seasons. I have had Continental DWS's on my stock set for the winter for the past 3 winters and was able to get around perfectly fine (even when some trucks were getting stuck; silly RWD trucks...) I'm not saying winter tires won't get you around better in the snow, but with how little snow we get, the tires can get worn down awfully fast.

What will really be interesting is coming back from my 6 week TDY in Florida in December on ZII's. Reaallly hoping for a dry road day for that one so I can get my other tires on!

The problem here is not so much the snow (although some years are worse that others) but it's the cold temperatures. Speaking from the past 2 years of daily driving experience in Maryland on Michelin PS A/S3's, once the temp gets in the 40's or below, they break traction...a lot. Maybe the Continentals are better than the Michelins?

I know that winter compounds will offer your best traction in cold and snow while summer tires will perform best in warmer weather. 2 years ago, when I thought All Seasons would be a great "best of both worlds" option for daily driving, they ended up being more of a compromise in All Seasons, especially on our light weight, rear wheel drive rocket! After this winter on my Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's, I'll let you know if they were worth it or not!
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote