Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #12
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Curious if they will make that harness available for sale....
They definitely won't. When I approached Andre about doing the swap, he still had his performance shop and did this type of work all day. Their "teaching the tuners" business was only part time. Then he decided to focus on that business full time and he sold the performance shop. I'd already started the swap and was concerned when I heard this as I wasn't confident in anyone else in the country doing the job, so if he wasn't going to be in a position to do the work I would've bailed on the swap, and the car.
To his credit, he saw the bind I was in and agreed to still do the work from his new business. Turns out his new business is doing quite well, and like any new business, takes a lot of his time. My project was the last thing he needed/wanted, but he saw it through anyway. Instead he used it as an opportunity to document some of the work he did and use them as information / tutorials, which is what his new business is all about.
The work I saw him put into that loom alone was unreal. I didn't expect anything like that, but again I think he saw it as an opportunity to show his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirespin782 View Post
Just went through your pics. Incredible. And comparing to most "swaps", yours was finished quickly.

I'm not much of a drag racer, but trap speeds are convenient to compare/confirm engine output.

I'm not to familiar with the 1uz family. Are there any advantages to going with the 4.3 bottom end? wikipedia saws they have the same hp. I'm guessing torque curve is moved a bit to the left for the 4.3?

I think I read you mentioned you didn't need to extend the shifter if you ground the engine webbing to move it further back. Did you decide against that or did you still need to extend the shifter after grinding the engine webbing?
Re:the 1uz vvti and 3uz vvti differences. There is varying info on the internet about the differences. One website in .co.za? lists them out quite thoroughly. Another, clublexus? I think, is quite critical of the later engines, mostly down to the size of the rods. What they fail to mention is that the later engines have forged rods, so while looking smaller, are stronger.
As to why I went with the 1uz vvti over the 3uz, the 3uz didnt appear to have enough gains to justify the risk of it. The risk being that I didn't know anyone first hand that had put a 3uz into anything and really beat on it, where as I knew a few people that had done so with the 1uz vvti. I didn't want to be the one to find out the 3uz wasn't as good etc. Plus, the 3uz was twice the cost, which while still cheap, I just couldn't see the gains from using it. The price difference, for example, would go along way to paying for cams etc.

Re: the engine placement. There's a whole yarn about that, that I havn't mentioned yet. Basically we had everything in and set, made the exhaust and then saw how low a 3" pipe was sitting. Because I intended on slamming the car out, we knew this wasn't going to cut the mustard. So, we started again. In the gearbox tunnel (which is quite large) there is a reinforced insert where the OEM box is mounted. This becomes a significant pinch point in the tunnel that up until that point we had not modified and just worked around it (the idea being to retain the ability to return the car to stock). Anyway, we removed this and trimmed it. This meant the box could sit much higher, and also the box and motor could move further back. Before we did this work, we intended on using the jzx100 box, which had the longer shifter housing of any r154. But, this housing was also taller. When we trimmed the tunnel piece, we couldn't raise the box much before this fouled. Swapping back to the jzx110 r154 meant it could go a lot higher. With the jzx110 r154 box sitting higher, and the tunnel pinch point no longer an issue, the whole setup could also slide further back. This solved a lot of issues. We didn't end up having to cut the webbing on the motor at all. There is also now enough room for the swaybar to still go behind the rack. The motor, having moved back, and because the rear of the box raised up, the front of the throttle body moved down, meant we didnt have to do any trimming of the bonnet, which up until then we thought we'd have to. With the box mounted higher, we modified the box mount to also sit higher. Now the 2x2.5" piping passes under the gearbox mount and (from memory) ended up being above the floor line, if not it was certainly close to. We ended up having to extend the shifter housing of the jzx110 because it was shorter than the jzx100 one, but used it because it had less height to it.
It meant redoing alot of the fab work, but the end result was worth it.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-19-2018), saj (08-04-2016), Valentino (09-20-2015)