View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The amount of horsepower and performance that the "average Joe (or Jane)" can walk into a dealership and buy today is borderline insane. You cannot use more than a third of some of those cars potential legally and/or safely on public roads. Even when they "take it to the track" the car's capabilities exceeds the skill set of 95%+ of the owners.

As a long time car nut, I have never been one to advocate limiting horsepower or speed. Maybe I am getting old (no maybe about it actually) but I now believe it is possible for the average Joe with the financial means to buy too much power and performance. After all, you can now walk into a dealership and buy a car that would have exceeded the performance potential of most of the full on race cars from 10-20 years ago. I do not think the skill level of the drivers on the road have improved that much (at all?) in the same period.

HPDE events are meant to be educational opportunities to develop a driver's skill set. Too often they become Time Trials. I have sat and listened to some of the horror stories that instructors tell. If they survive them they are usually laughing about the incidents. Personally, I would not do what they do for anything.

I agree with all the points made in the OP. If something is not done then not only will more people die but HPDE and track days may become a thing of the past for all but the most serious racers.
jjaisli (08-28-2015), Scargod (02-26-2022), strat61caster (08-28-2015), Tcoat (08-29-2015), Tristor (03-29-2018)