Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #33
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
How did you decide on axle location in regards to tongue weight?

What speed are those tires/hubs rated for?

The issue with running a trailer without brakes is that a good hard stop on the highway (ie cruising at 65 then traffic just suddenly stops completely) is that the trailer will want to jump off the mount and ram the back of your car.

Have you loaded it with sandbags and done a test run yet on the highway? Advised to do so well in advance of your move in case you need to make modifications or resort to plan b.
The axle is located in the standard position for the trailer frame. Empty, the trailer is a little rear biased, but it won't be when loaded. You can distribute the load to change the tongue weight.

Hubs are rated for 65, tires are 55. I've owned a boat & probably driven 5,000 plus miles with trailers in my time, but thank you for the insight. That's exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I paln on a slow & steady trip; I'm not in a rush; the fish aren't planning on going anywhere.

I've already done a few trial runs with it. Before I put the top and rear doors on, I threw a few hundred lbs of tools in & my BBQ (when I sold it ), and it drove better than expected. I live in just about one of the windiest places in California and it was surprisingly stable, but I can clearly feel the drag at 55 MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
hey since you are leaving on 8/11 you can make it to 86 Expo on 8/15 & 8/16 in WV.
Info? Since I'm going to limit myself to 55 MPH, I doubt I'll make it in time.

Last edited by Hyper4mance2k; 07-29-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Hyper4mance2k is offline   Reply With Quote