View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #29
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
As a general question, how's the intake filter holding up? Have there been any updates to the design to mitigate or reduce the interference in the engine bay?
I replaced mine, not sure if I documented here. JDL's original design is good as it has a nipple on the intake pipe for the oem crankcase vent or anything else you may need it for(or the cold air version, but requires deleting the washer fluid). I didn't need it and the filter was getting torn by the ABS unit and something else im not quite sure what. I'll dig up the info on the new K&N filter im using.. its on the first pics I posted.. the filter bolts up to the turbo inlet directly.

PS- found it. So first I ordered this little fool and it got torn.. the filter pretty much hangs from the flange and its heavy enough to tear the rubber when enough heat hits it. It gets hot in there and the rubber K&N uses couldn't stand up to the heat and the weight of the filter hanging of the flange without any other support.

Proceeded to get this guy, as its a bit longer I needed it to have the flange at an angle. the flange is also longer so it has more support on the turbo inlet and it rests on part of the chassis. Doing great so far.

Sitting in his new home, don't tighten the clamp too much or it'll cut through the rubber, finger tight almost.