strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,484 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Not sure where you're going with that? Though on a related note the last great Mercedes models (until the current S & C Classes) were the '87 E Class and '91 S class, both designed (obviously) in the 80s 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That computer simulation and analysis has been used in modeling vehicle dynamics and strength and reliability for parts in the automotive industry for at least 35 years, and we're using material properties and methods that have existed for 70+ years.

Pointing to a single tool and saying 'that's the reason' is like saying the president is responsible for the laws that are passed. There are many more socioeconomic factors that have driven us to where we are today along with a multitude of technological advancements.

After all, as someone put it, we got a man on the moon with a slide rule and a casio calculator. The computer is not some super-tool that has elevated us beyond our forefathers, all it does is speed up the rate of trivial tasks, i.e. don't read this message for a week and I'll wait to read your response for a week.

You're not wrong, newer cars are built to tighter tolerances and slimmer margins because we can do so successfully. But if people didn't want cheaper cars, didn't want to treat their cars as disposable appliances to be traded in every 3-5 years we'd still be buying overbuilt cars like the 60's-80's Germans and 80's-90's Japanese and lusting over cars that stretched reliability to the limit like 60's-90's Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-30-2015)