Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZPDX
I was born in Hyogo, Osaka. I go to Tokyo every year for work. I haven't live there long enough, but my brother worked in Japan for 10 years and we used to talk cars all the time over Skype. Tells me what he see's on the streets and whats popular. Trust me, I used to be really into the bosozoku style cars back in 92 ~ 2000. Now, the kids really think the stanced out mini-vans and giant scooters are "cool". Sports cars? Not interested. I am sure there are core people left in the Touge/Shutoko/Drift king stuff, but the majority of the modding culture has come down to Stanced vans, Ita-Sha's and just bull shit in my opinion.
I am Japanese, and I am not proud of the JDM culture, especially the Ita-Sha (anime girl vinyl wraps), mini-van modding and giant scooter modding, usually favored by high-school drop-outs living off parents money. They are referred to as "neats" or "Dokyun". Essentially useless in Japanese society standards
|
The bolded was my point, in any car culture there will always be those that flood it with things most would consider "nonsense" but there will always be those that have a genuine love for the craft. I for one don't like stance movement either (my back can't take it), but I won't knock the crowd that does.
My philosophy is enjoy your car, period. For me, that means light engine tuning and intact interior, subtle exterior mods (namely stuff offered by the tuning division TRD, sti, etc.) Truth be told, the majority of my driving will be at speed on public roads (currently no need for a power boost). Also I can only afford one car, so if I go with extreme mods I would be shit out of luck if it went wrong (which with modded cars we all know can happen).
All that said, I don't have a desire to set track records or go as fast as I can. I'm the type of driver who enjoys getting up early and then spending the entire day looking for good stretches of road to drive. finding cool resturants off the beaten path and sitting on the curb outside while my car glistens in the afternoon sun.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Trends will come and go, but in any culture you find somewhere to fit in, so it doesn't matter if it's popularity wains, even if it appears to be gone, if you look hard enough for something, you'll find it.
P.S. I apologize if I offended you.