Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337
20-30 year-olds are usually broke and in debt. There's no way anybody that young could afford a new car over $20k (unless you got rich mommy and daddies). Maybe if it is an entry entry bottom dog car like a $9999 Nissan Micra I can see a younger crowd getting into those. But I agree that the true demographic is usually a young family in their 30-40's with a stable career going after these cars.
I actually really like this car. It's like a Toyota Matrix but with way better styling. I'll definitely be looking to pick up a used one in 2-3 years time once the FRS is paid off.
|
I don't agree with this entirely for multiple reasons. First, the demographic I have observed driving more "expensive" vehicles tends to be the "younger" crowd. I can think of several possible explanations for this.
First, young people tend to live 'in the moment". In other words, they don't always make the best financial decisions. They live on the border of their means (or even exceed it). On the flip side, young single people might have the liquid cash to spend on more "emotional" purchases because they are not supporting a family. When I was 23, just out of college, my first purchase was a fully loaded Honda Accord EX. Almost 20 years later, I am buying cars that are 5-10K cheaper than a fully loaded Accord.
Certainly some of these young people are getting assistance from their parents, others have good jobs and few expenses outside of college loans and/or rent, others are living paycheck to paycheck, blah blah blah.
Long story short, what I have observed in person on the roads and what the actual sales figures broken down by age reveal is...that the older crowd are gravitating to these "cheap" cars while the younger crowd is chasing the "brand/status" vehicles. This is, of course, partly my personal opinion/observations.