Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 AM   #23
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
Thanks so much for the information! The bold part was the part that I wanted to hear and now I'm seriously afraid of what's to come. My clutch does make the squishy, not really squealing-per-say noise, but doesn't slip or feel mechanically wrong. My car only has 23k on it and the only "mod" I've done in regards to the clutch was adjusting the clutch engagement point, since the OEM engagement height is ridiculously long. Should I be worried? Should I take my car into a local dealership and have it inspected (If so, I'll be 2x more worried since my car is tuned and has an aftermarket catless header onto it...which will inevitably lead the dealership to decline inspection onto my vehicle)?
Your concern is valid, but don't get paranoid. You can always have a shop inspect it to get a better diagnosis. If you hear your noise when the car is off, it's NOT the TOB, its most likely just normal noise from things moving.

The clutch system is mechanical and hydraulic, so it will make some noises, but none of them should be really loud. The pedal can make a squishing squeaking noise when it moves, the clutch itself can make some mechanical noise when it separates or compresses... The key is to narrow down what noises happen when. The dying TOB noise will ONLY happen when the car is running, and typically only when the pedal has pressure (or held in place), not necessarily when its only in transition. If you only hear noise when you are pressing or releasing the pedal, it might not be the TOB at all.

Its also possible you may have adjusted the pedal too aggressively. The long travel is partly to ensure the fork is not putting ANY pressure on the bearing at rest. If you adjusted the engagement point too high, you're essentially putting the fork closer and closer to the pressure point. If its set too high, it might still be putting slight pressure on the bearing when the pedal is all the way out. If this is the case, I might expect to hear noise constantly since the bearing would always be under some pressure.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
akahenry (03-17-2015), btune (02-23-2017)